Author Topic: Started at Last  (Read 3173 times)

Offline Juls~X

• Administrator
Started at Last
« on: June 12, 2007, 10:59:46 »
At long last I have a winch on the truck - doesn't work as I haven't wired it yet - on account of the wire not turned up yet  ;D

I fabricated the winch bumper myself using 5mm steel

Only members are allowed to view images. Please register or login

Looks a bit over long at the moment, this is because it's been designed to go with the bull-bar and when that is on it looks a lot better.

The bull will cover the top of the winch and was one of the reasons I moved the free-spool lever through 90? to come out the front.

One of my forebodings is the fact that the lever is vulnerable to knocks in that position, however it's clearance on the front plate is around 5mm which I reckon is less than the movement needed to permanently bend it.

I also need an aluminum fairlead, as I'm going to run plasma for more than just the lightness reason - you can wait for the answer to that riddle  ;D

Oh yes the gray on the valence - unfortunately  the nuts had rusted so to get it off I had to use hammer and chisel and then weld new studs on causing paint burn etc. ::) ::)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 11:41:17 by Juls~X »
Only members are allowed to view images. Please register or login Only members are allowed to view images. Please register or login

Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it!

1988 2.5td manual Shogun SWB
1994 2.8tdi auto Pajero LWB

Offline Juls~X

• Administrator
Re: Started at Last
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2007, 20:13:45 »
Further update:

The winch is now wired and works - well eventually  ::) At first I couldn't get it to go no how, then thought about taking the end of the motor off and having a look to find - yep you guessed it I hadn't put the springs on the brushes and they were held off the commutator ring ::) ::)

So after fixing that small problem it worked Yaaaaay.

Finished the wiring by adding a wireless remote  $)) checked it out (and in) a few times then loaded the rope - I managed to get 50 metres of 15mm on  :o mind you that took my battery down a bit and warmed the winch motor up slightly  ;D

Now all I have to do is get and fit a battery tray for the second battery and sort a charging system out for it.

No pics today but will do some tomorrow before I fit the bull back in place  8)
Only members are allowed to view images. Please register or login Only members are allowed to view images. Please register or login

Offline Juls~X

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 19:06:39 »
Today's Update:

Right Pics today - first one shows the 4th layer going on

This next pic show the final layers

On the right hand side of the drum you can see there is just enough clearance between the rope and the Tie-bar, on the left hand side the rope, now on it's 7th layer is fouling the tie-bar.

and finally

I've replaced the front bash plate - I had to mod this slightly as the winch tray is slightly lower than the original bumper. You can also see on this pic that the rope does not foul on the winch tray at the bottom.

Certainly after the 5th layer you are clearly pushing it although it's ok if you manage to get it layered, but it's not something you can rely on when you are winching as the rope tend to bunch in the centre then

I think a bit later I will change to 100 feet of 9.5 plasma and use this rope for another project ;)

Other things I've done today are:

Jacked the front up using the winch tray - I was actually using the jack to bend the bash plate edges to the bottom of the winch tray, but it works well  ;D which is good because that will be a jacking point for the Hi-Lift when I get one.

Doing mods to the bull-bar, the bottom bar was fouling the bottom of the winch tray (partly due to the fact it was bent ::) )

I've got fed up with the way the cb mount kept slipping - so that's been modded

And it's got to be cleaned up and painted  ;)

Offline Juls~X

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2007, 17:49:45 »
Yet another update:

Well I got the bull back on to day

Yep you did see the spots back on - I lost the covers though, well actually I know exactly where there are but....  ;D

And the new bracket for the CB aerial

And how about this for style? :D

told you it would match up with the bull ;D

You just got to stand back and admire it

Just got the fairlead to get and fit now and It's aesthetically finished

Offline Brettyboy

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2007, 14:53:23 »
Looks good,very neat job you've done,fitting a winch to me zuke is the next job i'll be doin

Offline Christophe

• Active Newbie
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2018, 09:56:23 »
I agree with your opinion very much.