Author Topic: Been Doing Some Jacking Today  (Read 2835 times)

Offline Juls~X

• Administrator
Been Doing Some Jacking Today
« on: July 09, 2007, 19:00:39 »
The time has come, I thought. Well there's a trial for me on Sunday and I wanted a bit more height and so I wound up my torsion bars - except that I didn't just wind them up exactly primarily because one was wound up further than the other so......

First job was to jack up the truck and put the axle stands under - had to put them behind the gearbox cross-member otherwise they'd get in the way of the job  ;)

Wire brush all the muck off the ends of the torsion bar bolts - then undo them completely

Measure them at the point where they are no longer under torsion:

Only members are allowed to view images. Please register or login
Which worked out to be 60mm (this should be standard on all models)

Once the torsion bar is loose you then have to undo all 4 bolts on the gearbox cross-member - CAUTION only work on one side at a time and put the bolts back once you have finished that side!

Pull back the rubber gaiter on the front of the torsion bar

The torsion bar will now pull out of it's socket

Now index the torsion bar around - clockwise on the left hand side (looking to the front) and anti-clockwise on the right hand side (looking to the front)

The amount to index is calculated as follows:

Distance from pivot point to bolt/measuring point on torsion bar = 120mm

Distance from torsion bar to lower ball joint on wishbone = 400mm approx

Ratio = 3:1 approx which means every 1mm movement on the bolt moves the suspension by 3mm

So I indexed the torsion bar by 20mm allowing me a 60mm lift

So the total amount is 80mm - note the jack used to lift the torsion bar into place and ease the pressure on the bolt while I was tightening it

Finally adjust the bolt so that the final measurement on the torsion bar is 20mm

Lasst job is to refix the gearbox cross-member bolts and fit the front gaiter into place.

Repeat for the other side
Only members are allowed to view images. Please register or login Only members are allowed to view images. Please register or login

Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it!

1988 2.5td manual Shogun SWB
1994 2.8tdi auto Pajero LWB