Author Topic: 2.8 Pajero Engine  (Read 2874 times)

Offline Juls~X

• Administrator
2.8 Pajero Engine
« on: August 02, 2008, 19:17:08 »
I expect that many have heard by now of Toms engine problems — how it clattered to a standstill

I thought at first it might have been a broken chain as Tom had only recently had a new head and head gasket.

Tom asked me to look at it and so I duly went, chatted, enjoyed copious amounts of corfy and bacon butties and looked. Tom hadn't managed to turn the engine but I did — backwards but half a turn later it stopped, then able to turn it forwards for half a turn before stopping again. By this time I'd noticed the chain quite happily moving in both directions and so ruled my diagnosis out ::)

By afternoon the last of the cylinder head bolts came out and we were able to lift the head off to discover this:

Only members are allowed to view images. Please register or login

Chatting with Tom during the course of the day he told me how the mechanic had 'timed' the engine by indexing the cam sprocket on the chain effectively putting the valve timing out of sync so that the valves were hitting the pistons until one broke

Looking at the pistons we thought we'd got away with just replacing the head and gasket and resetting the camshaft timing and it wasn't until the following day when I was trying to find the bright links on the chain that I discovered that the engine was bitching somewhere on turning over and so I decided to take the whole front cover off to check the gearing for damage but even with no gear engaged the engine was still bitching and was occuring on the downstroke of the above piston — the one that had had the broken valve.

By the end of this day we knew that either the piston or con rod had to be replaced or the bottom of the engine — now as it happened I had access to the bottom end of a 2.8, one which I had already had the head off and so the following day was spent with me picking it up.

Day 4 and I spent it pottering around cleaning up the replacement including honing the bores which are in quite good condition — pics tomorrow ;)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 20:30:43 by Juls~X »
Only members are allowed to view images. Please register or login Only members are allowed to view images. Please register or login

Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it!

1988 2.5td manual Shogun SWB
1994 2.8tdi auto Pajero LWB

Offline tonyj

• Active Newbie
  • One life.......so get a 4X4 and drive it
Re: 2.8 Pajero Engine
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 22:26:18 »
hello mate.

looks like a big job and not a nice site.

Do all the valves have marks on them from hitting the pistions or is it just the one thats broke???

Offline Juls~X

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 22:47:50 »
Hi Tony

we decided to change all the valves - no point in taking chances
Only members are allowed to view images. Please register or login Only members are allowed to view images. Please register or login

Offline Juls~X

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2008, 17:18:54 »
Right as promised pic of the cleaned up and honed block

Those of you with keen eyesight and an understanding of engines will no doubt note an absence of a step on the top of the bores denoting a low mileage engine

Offline cookie

• Active Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 12:02:42 »
a little tip..

never turn the 2.8 engine anti-clockwise. it makes the cam chain tensioner ratchet over-tighten.