Author Topic: Insa Turbo Special Tracks 235/85 16s  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Juls~X

• Administrator
Insa Turbo Special Tracks 235/85 16s
« on: November 22, 2007, 21:41:27 »

At long last fitted and tested  ;D ;D

Only members are allowed to view images. Please register or login

It took me a long time to choose these tyres - close to a year believe it or not. I wanted a tyre that would find traction where ever i went, what ever I was doing - So did I get it? Well the tyres I eventually ended up with after many months of dilemma was the 235/85 version thin and tall ;)

A close up view of the Insa Turbo Special Track shows off it's huge block tread those side blocks designed to dig in to loose soil and mud with big gaps in between to aid the clearing of the same mud the tighter pattern in the centre to give grip on tighter packed trails and roads. The centre tread is about half as deep again as that on the Colway/Greenway tyres with the outer block almost twice the depth

So how does it stand up?

Very good I think, my initial findings at Abingdon proved them very well allowing very low speeds with plenty of traction. I found they would provide traction in places where you would never expect like starting partway up a step slope where they would spin at first but suddenly bite into the ground giving enough traction to get started and keep going.

I used them with good effect on The Gap getting grip where others were only getting wheel spin - even in the soft peat bogs at Trefil they never let me down cutting straight through when solo and finding grip when recovering Nick when he got stuck in them.

Finally I got to use them for what I bought them for - Trialling, Those that have done trials will know that there is no run up through a gate, it's all low speed and traction. So airing the tyres down to 15psi (1 Bar) I got just what I was looking for low speed traction

These tyres are:

Good on rock
Quickly finding a grip on steps

Finding no problem with gripping standard tracks

And they look good ;) ;D ;D

So how do I rate them?

Well to start with I bought the thinner 235/85 rather than the 267/75 and I believe I made the right choice - Phat tyres might look good but thin ones really cut in and do the job right

Off-road I haven't yet been able to fault them - they've done everything I've asked of them and more

Turning circle - about the same as before but I might be fitting some 32mm or 50mm spacers later on just to help a bit more

On - road:

They are noisy which is what you would expect from this type of tyre but it's a pleasant noise and the ICE will quite happily drown it ;D ;D

Traction is bad at first while the tread surface is still glossy but improves once it gets rubbed down a bit although I'd put them closer to a 90/10 tyre than a 80/20 so you need to be wary in wet weather

Wear - you need to bear in mind that the tread has been designed for off-road activities so the tread blocks are soft to make them flexible (like most mud-type tyres) which causes them to wear quickly on road. If you use them all the time expect between 5-6,000 miles out of them before you need to change them - they won't be worn out but they won't be much use off-road. Used solely off-road they will keep you going for 2 or 3 years.

Am I happy with them?

You Bet ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Only members are allowed to view images. Please register or login Only members are allowed to view images. Please register or login

Your life is yours alone. Rise up and live it!

1988 2.5td manual Shogun SWB
1994 2.8tdi auto Pajero LWB

Offline 4x4bigstu

• Active Newbie
Re: Insa Turbo Special Tracks 235/85 16s
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2007, 16:09:03 »
probaly what i will go for next,

I have been told to go for the inscas over the fedimas cos the side walls flex better

Where did you get them from ? what was the price like?

Offline Juls~X

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 15:46:37 »
When I got mine there was a shortage in the country and in fact I had the last set of four there were and in fact came from Up To The Axles in North Wales.

Good news is they are available on line for around £69 each with a delivery price of £20 for a set of 4 - you then have to get them fitted and balanced for between £25 - £30

The 4x4 Store in Sowton Industrial Estate can get them for you at around the £69 mark Mid Devon Tyres (just around the corner) will fit them for around £25 - £20 saving

Or checking out prices as you do I came across 4x4 Tyre Centres These are basically a group of local suppliers & fitters that have got together. My local one , in Totnes quoted me £77 per tyre fitted and balanced, which with hindsight is a pretty good deal

Go to the site and click on dealers and you'll find your local dealer by postcode - ring them and they will give you a price fitted and balanced
Only members are allowed to view images. Please register or login Only members are allowed to view images. Please register or login

Offline Brettyboy

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 14:37:58 »
Noticed these in the Differs classifieds  http://forum.difflock.com/ads_item.php?id=1260

Offline Juls~X

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 19:30:21 »
Those are the wider ones - about 10.5" as opposed to the just over 9" of the 235 I was very much like a pendulum between the two and eventually plumped for the narrower of the two - and frankly I'm glad I did.

Not sure which would be best for the zuke - personally I'd go for the 235s but never had a Zuke

I reckon he'll want about £50 a piece for them and they'll cost in the region of £60 to have them delivered new price for the 265/75 is £65 (£4 cheaper than the 235/85)

The height of the 265 is slightly less than the 235

Offline 4x4bigstu

• Active Newbie
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 19:32:41 »
Saw them as well, Brett bit of a long way to go though ;D ;D

They are also not as tall as the 235/85/16

There was a bloke on ebay selling them for 235 a set,

Pay for tyre fitting???  :-\

probaly fit them myself $))